Friday, October 17, 2008

LET'S GET SKINNY!!!!!

Today I was required to journal about a radical product that has become commonplace in our society. the first thing that popped into my little mind was diet pills. Look how much money those people make telling women they are fat... it's not just women, but in general women care more about their weight.  i am unsure when the first diet pill came into existence, but i am willing to bet 50 years ago if a woman was worried about her weight, she exercised, went to a gym of some sort maybe, worked out at home... something. Now though, it seems that every time we see a large person, in our minds we offer them some "get skinny quick."  Has it ever occurred to people that those same adds directed to large people, also affect young people? Did you know, I heard this from a teacher, an eight year old girl nearly died of anorexia? EIGHT yeas old... Tell me that isn't crap! These companies make money telling women they are fat.. they sell skinny in a bottle... just look at the commercials... impossibly skinny women in bikinis on beaches surrounded by hot guys... it sounds so good.. but in all reality, is it worth it? Did that little girl's mom think so? These products and commercials reach not only the ears of overweight men and women... but also the innocent ears of youth who need to know it is ok to be "average" even though that term is being skewed as well.. now average means size 3... I am a size 9.. and I would be considered to heavy in the world of modeling... sad huh? 
Someone tell me it's not wrong to be mad... please tell me i am not alone in thinking that normal girls should be told they are beautiful as they are, not shown skinny models and expected to be like that??
I don't know what else to say.. this topic is so infuriating, I could rant for days on it.... to think.. and eight year old who is anorexic... 

No comments: